Connecting with people in similar circumstances is important. If you are paralyzed or have a friend or family member who is, it is important to share your experiences and knowledge.
ATBF’s Peer Mentoring Program is under the umbrella of the ATBF Outreach Program. Through the ATBF Peer Mentoring Program, lifelines are forged to offer support and assistance in moving forward. The Foundation facilitates relationships by connecting the newly injured with those who have “been there.”
ATBF links individuals based on:
- Level of injury
- Common interests
- Geographic location (city, suburb, urban area)
- Travel experiences
- Medical questions and inquiries
- Caregivers and specialists
If you are interested in being a Peer Mentor with ATBF, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips To Connect With People With Spinal Cord Injury
- Listen to them
- Ask questions
- Stay positive
- Suggest to their loved one that they gather financial, insurance, and employment paperwork
- Encourage them to be committed to therapy
- Tell them to be patient with the rehab process, realizing that the level of injury will dictate how fast it goes
- Encourage them to do simple tasks, then tackle the more difficult ones
- Have them set long-term goals and to think about the future and all its possibilities
- Focus them on trying to have an independent life in terms of everyday life, work, and social situations depending on their level of injury
- Celebrate all achievements with them
- Stay in touch. Your friendship will be valued!
Be A Mentor- Find Federal Government Resources For People With Disabilities
Are you looking for information for yourself? Or do you want to find resources for someone else with a disability, such as your peer, child, spouse or parent. Disability.gov is the federal government website for comprehensive information on disability programs and services nationwide. You can find thousands of resources on topics, such as applying for Social Security disability benefits, finding a job and paying for accessible housing, to name just a few.